FLL Team Resources
FIRST and many other organizations, including other teams, provide a variety of resources and training for both veteran and rookie FIRST teams. This page contains links to manuals, documents and other resources that will increase your knowledge of FIRST and its various components.
The Maryland FLL coaches listserv is also a great place for coaches to gain information on FLL. Detials on the qualifiers, invites to Coaches'meetings, torunament registration, and much more is shared through the listserv. All adult head coaches, assistant coaches, teachers, and mentors are invited to join. Follow this link to subscribe! Just click on subscribe on the left side of the screen and follow the prompts.
Presentations and Conference Calls
Kickoff 2013-14 "Nature's Fury" Workshops
- All Coaches Meeting Agenda
- "Nature's Fury" Robot Game Overview (pptx) (includes animation of board)
- "Nature's Fury" Robot Game Overview (pdf)
- The FLL Project - Nature's Fury
- FLL Team Tips
- FLL Fundraising and Resources
- Advanced Programming and Best Practices
Sept 2011, Coaches Workshops
Bill Aucoin's Presentation on Programming: MD-NXT-Overview-Workshop-v2.1R.pdf
- October 2, 2010 Coaches Workshop
- FLL Season Overview - Jamie Gurganus (10/2/10)
- Team Tips for New Coaches and Team Building/Branding (10/2/10)
- The FLL Project (10/2/10)
- FLL Judges Briefing (10/2/10)
- 2010 Body Forward Game - Referee's Overview (10/2/10)
- Maryland FLL Coaches NTX-G Programming Workshop (9/25/10)
- Miss Mary's Coach-to-Coach Presentation for Maryland FLL (9/14/10)
- US FIRST FLL Coach Support Calls (see under "Preparation" heading)
FLL Team Resources
- Team Resources - A collection of FIRST's tips and information on preparing, programming, building, and participation in FLL
- Carnegie Mellon Robotics Academy - LEGO Robots & Resources
- Communications Resource Center - A detailed list including important team information and resources to help teams throughout the season
- International Forum - The FLL community web forum created for constructive communication, problem solving, and idea sharing between teams
- The LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Idea Book: Design, Invent, and Build - The team behind The NXT STEP blog has packaged some of their considerable skills and experience in this book, and even included instructions for eight robots you can build yourself
- NXT Robotics Competition Workbook - A great resource for new and experienced teams including information for teachers, coaches, mentors, and students to begin organizing and tackling the challenges ahead
- Robotics Competition Journals -A cheap collection of fun, 40-page journals perfect for recording the entire process of a team's FLL season
- Carnegie Mellon University Robotics Academy
- High Tech Kids - Minnesota's FLL partner website
- Oregon Robotics - Oregon's FLL partner website
- NorCal FLL - Northern California's FLL partner website
- LEGO Digital Designer
- TechBrick Robotics: Worksheets, scoring, sheets, and tons of tips and advice
- The NXT STEP LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT Blog: The busiest NXT Blog in the world with a huge amount of great info
Tutorials and Guides
- NXT Programming Guide - A book that will teach teams to easily program a robot with the NXT-G visual programming language, as well as learn to implement basic, intermediate, and advanced programs.
- Olin Sharing FIRST - An accomplished demonstration board providing useful information about robot components
- OpenFIRST - An open-source initiative to help FIRST robotics teams prosper in web development
- PneumaticsFIRST - A site of resources created by the fluid power industry to offer guidance in applying pneumatics to FIRST robots
Suppliers and Manufacturers
- Badge-A-Minit - Retailer for button equipment and supplies
- LEGO Education - The FLL program utilizes products from LEGO Education, Each year, FLL teams purchase their Challenge Sets from LEGO Education.
- Pitsco Education - Supplier of TETRIX Robotic Design System
- Rob Bayer.com - A FIRST-based programming resource offering tutorials, tools, and software downloads
- Fundraising Ideas & Product Center - A collection of fundraising resources for non-profit organizations
- Fundraiser Help - A database of tips, tutorials, and ideas for school and non-profit fundraising
- Step By Step Fundraising - A cohesive listing of fundraising strategies, including a free monthly newsletter and e-book
- Funds for Your Group - An online offering from Interstate Batteries that allows teams to have small custom stores that generate 30% commission on sales.
- ASEE - The official website for the American Society of Engineering Education
- ASME - The official website for the American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- ASME Guide to Starting A FIRST Team
- IEEE - The official website for the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc.
- FIRST Community Alumni - Official community for alumni designed to increase continued support of FIRST.
- NASA Robotics Alliance - An educational program designed to increase robotics expertise in the U.S.
- NEMO - The official website for the FIRST Robotics Non-Engineering Mentor Organization, the support group and information exchange for adult mentors
- NSBE - The official website for the National Society of Black Engineers
- Robot Chicks Union - The official website for the Robot Chicks Union, advocates of the involvement of females in FIRST
- Science Resources - A non-profit organization that promotes quality science and engineering education
- SME - The official website for the Society of Manufacturing Engineers
- SWE - The official website for the Society of Women Engineers, advocates for women achieving their full potential in engineering careers